The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has confirmed the arrests of two additional suspects in connection with June 5 attack on Saint Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.
Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors on Tuesday 9 August 2022, spoke on the arrest of four terrorists who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022. They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022.
Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi. The DHQ in a statement on Wednesday, August 10, said barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of four of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, two additional ISWAP terrorists were arrested. The statement signed by Director of Defence Information, Major General Jimmy Akpor, said the suspects who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State on 9 August 2022. “The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel.
The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris,” the statement read. “It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties “It is the avowed commitment of the leadership of the military, Nigeria Police, DSS and other security agencies to work in synergy to enthrone peace and security all over the country. This is due to the need for collaboration as an essential requirement to successfully deal with the existential asymmetric threats currently bedeviling our dear nation, Nigeria.”
Leave a Reply